Pakistani prime minister Shehbaz Sharif has congratulated Donald Trump on his peace efforts and said Pakistan hopes to host another round of talks between the US and Iran “very soon”.
Sharif also said in a post on X that the US president held a “very useful and productive” phone call earlier in the day with the leaders of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Turkey, Egypt, the UAE, Jordan and Pakistan, with Pakistani army chief Syed Asim Munir also on the line.
Sharif said:
The discussions provided a useful opportunity to exchange views on the current regional situation and how to move the ongoing peace efforts forward to bring lasting peace in the region. Pakistan will continue its peace efforts with utmost sincerity and we hope to host the next round of talks very soon.”
US vice-president JD Vance led a US delegation to Islamabad in the first round of peace talks with Iran six weeks ago, which ended without an agreement.
Iran executed one person for charges related to sending information to the US and Israel during the war, the Iranian judiciary’s Mizan news agency reported on Sunday, according to Reuters.
The individual was sending data about Iran’s defence industry to “the enemy”, the news agency alleged.
The draft agreement between the US and Iran also makes clear the Israel- Hezbollah war in Lebanon would end, Axios is reporting.
The newsite quotes an unnamed Israeli official as saying Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu expressed concern about that condition – and other aspects of the deal – during a call with Donald Trump on Saturday.
The report went on:
The US official said it would not be a ‘one-sided ceasefire’ and if Hezbollah tried to rearm or instigate attacks, Israel would be allowed to take action to prevent it. ‘If Hezbollah behaves, Israel will behave.’”
As just mentioned, the report says the agreement is only in unfinalised draft form and “could still fall apart”, according to a US official.
Peace draft involves reopening Hormuz strait during 60-day truce extension – report
The agreement the US and Iran are reportedly close to signing involves a 60-day ceasefire extension during which the strait of Hormuz would be reopened, according to Axios.
During that time Iran would be able to freely sell oil and negotiations would be held on curbing Iran’s nuclear program, the US news site is reporting, citing an American official, while also saying the details were in an agreement “draft” as it currently stood.
“Those details have not been confirmed by the Iranian side, though Tehran has also indicated a deal is getting close,” the report says.
Some of the draft details look to align with what is being reported from sources quoted by the Associated Press and the New York Times, as our full report details.
The deal would avoid an escalation of the war and decrease the pressure on the global oil supply, Axios says, adding:
However, it’s unclear whether it will lead to a lasting peace agreement that also addresses President Trump’s nuclear demands.”
The report says that during the 60-day Hormuz strait reopening, Iran would agree to clear mines it deployed in the waterway and allow ships to pass freely. In exchange, the US would lift its blockade on Iranian ports.
The report also says:
Both Trump and the mediators have indicated the deal could be announced on Sunday, though it has not been finalized and could still fall apart.”
Pakistan says ‘encouraging’ progress towards peace deal
The Pakistani army has said the negotiations with Iran resulted in “encouraging” progress towards a final understanding.
The deal being negotiated was “fairly comprehensive to terminate the war”, two Pakistani sources involved in the negotiations to end the war told Reuters.
Iran had said on Saturday that it was working towards a memorandum of understanding with the US laying out an approach to ending the war after its top officials met with Pakistani army chief Asim Munir.
Reuters quoted sources as saying the proposed framework would unfold in three stages: formally ending the war, resolving the crisis in the strait of Hormuz and launching a 30-day window for negotiations on a broader agreement, which can be extended.
One of the Pakistani sources also there was no guarantee the US would accept the memorandum. If it did, it would lead to further talks after the Eid holiday ended on Friday.
On Saturday Donald Trump told Axios he expected to decide on Sunday whether to resume attacks on Iran. “Either we reach a good deal or I’ll blow them to a thousand hells,” the news site quoted him as saying.
The Guardian
EDECS group, , a leading EPC contractor in the MEA region, has been awarded the…
Brad Pitt tying the knot for a third time is reportedly off the table after his…
The Saudi Ports Authority (Mawani) has launched a new cargo shipping service linking Jeddah Islamic…
operating at the Kingdom’s airports, updating regulations governing the carriage of portable chargers, commonly known…
Over the next few days, something unusual will be happening across Spanish soccer. Nearly 40…
The Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations warned that a prolonged closure…